Impact 89FM

The Sci-Files – 4/14/2019 – Claire Hoffmann – African Carnivores and Human Conflict

Back to Article
Back to Article

PlayPlay

Catch this weeks episode of The Sci-Files, where Daniel and Chelsie interview Claire Hoffmann. Claire is a Ph.D. student in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Michigan State University, who studies the conflict between humans and large carnivores in East Africa.

In this region, in East Africa, carnivores such as lions, leopards, and hyenas eat a lot of livestock. The livestock owners often retaliate by killing carnivores. This conflict places a lot of pressure on both human and wildlife communities. Claire addresses this issue by using new technologies such as motion-activated infrared cameras and acoustic recorders. She also uses traditional data collection methods such as vegetation surveys. Her study uses the data from these approaches to identify patterns of where, when, and how carnivores attack livestock. More specifically, she focuses on how we might be able to use these patterns to predict and prevent future attacks on livestock. This would reduce the rates of conflict which the loss of  livestock triggers. The goal of her research is to minimize the adverse effects on both carnivore and human communities in that region.

If you’re interested in talking about your MSU research on the radio or nominating a student, please email Chelsie and Danny at scifiles@impact89fm.org. Check The Sci-Files out on Twitter @SciFiles89FM!

About the Writers
Chelsie Boodoo, The Sci-Files Host

Chelsie is a Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. student at Michigan State University. She studies what happens when the bladder is overstretched. Specifically, she is curious about what happens to the extracellular matrix and the metabolism of the cells after they are stretched. She co-hosts an Exposure Series, The Sci-Files with Daniel Puentes. Together they explore the different topics that graduate students study on The Sci-Files at WDBM.

Daniel Puentes, The Sci-Files Host

Daniel is a graduate student in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, where he does research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory. His research involves measuring the mass of radioactive nuclei, and how it can tell us how protons and neutrons are arranged inside of a nucleus. This research also helps scientists understand how the elements were created in different stellar environments! At WDBM, he and Chelsie Boodoo co-host The Sci-Files.