Weather delay suspends MSU-Penn State in second quarter

EAST LANSING, Mich. — Just midway through the first half, Michigan State and Penn State left the field and headed for the locker rooms after a weather delay suspended play. The Nittany Lions left the field holding onto a 14-7 lead after two Trace McSorley touchdown passes.

After linebacker Joe Bachie picked off McSorley deep in Spartan territory, MSU failed to turn the turnover into points on their opening drive. MSU marched to the Lions’ 43-yard line, but a Cody White dropped pass, which would’ve moved the sticks, brought up a fourth-and-two. The Spartans sent Jake Hartbarger out to pin the Lions deep instead of rolling the dice on fourth down.

Penn State, backed deep into their own end zone, drove 92 yards in just seven plays, and used just three minutes of clock, before scoring on a 31-yard DaeSean Hamilton touchdown reception. Saquon Barkley, who has been bottled up with just one rushing yard to this point, took a direct snap and threw a 20-yard strike to the big tight end Mike Gesicki on the scoring drive.

On the ensuing kickoff, a Penn State personal foul moved MSU up to their own 48-yard line, where they drove the ball 52 yards in just four plays, before quarterback Brian Lewerke found Darrell Stewart from seven yards out to even the game up. MSU’s offensive line overcame two big penalties in the red zone before ultimately getting six.

Penn State responded with another efficient drive, going 75 yards on just 9 plays, using just 2:46 of clock before finding the end zone. The Spartans were careless in open space, failing to finish several tackles, including the Lions’ 27-yard fourth down touchdown reception to Saeed Blacknall, in which he shed three different tacklers before finding pay dirt.

MSU took over on offense just before the weather delay with 9:38 to play in the first half, facing a third-and-four from PSU’s 37-yard line, looking to knot things up at 14. The game is projected to restart no earlier than 4:15 p.m.