Goodbye, MSU | Nick Sanchez
Goodbye, MSU | Nick Sanchez
Nick Sanchez, Airstaff Coach • April 24, 2024

Weekend Hockey Preview: Princeton Tigers

Michigan State is 0-4-0, and despite an improved performance last weekend, the Spartans could not get into the win column. This Friday offers MSU a chance to change that as they host Princeton for a single game this Friday at Munn.

Location: Munn Ice Arena East Lansing, Mich.

Dates and Time: Friday, Oct. 27. 7:05 p.m.

TV: None.

Radio: Spartan Sports Network.

Team Comparisons:

The Tigers have yet to play a game this year, so there is little available in terms of stats and a scouting report. Based on what MSU has seen in previous years, Princeton is a team that is hard working, according to senior captain Joe Cox.

“They’re going to be chasing you all over the ice going 100 miles an hour and it really works for them, there just really aggressive,” Cox said.

It also helps that Princeton returns a bulk of last year’s team, though they finished last in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference.

Michigan State is coming off a series that they played quite well in despite the results. After 2-1 and 3-1 losses to the then No. 6 Denver Pioneers, the Spartans feel confident in the improvement they have undergone since the season began in Sault Ste. Marie. The Spartans rank near the bottom of the country in team offense, defense and powerplay. These are all aspects that coach Tom Anastos is paying attention to in practice.

While he didn’t name a starter for this Friday, Anastos felt that both goaltenders played well last weekend against DU. Sophomore Ed Minney had arguably the better performance stopping 24-of-26 shots sent his way last Friday.

Prediction:

Princeton will be fired up to play their first game of the season, but the Tigers are probably not the same team Lake Superior State is. The biggest difference is that the Spartans have started to knock off the rust and are on the rise. I expect a big night for the MSU offense to lift the team to its first win of the season.