Men’s Hockey Freshmen Show Promising Start

For four freshmen, this past week was the first time they put on the Spartan uniform.

“It was exciting to put on the Spartan sweater for the first time and get used to the feeling of representing Spartan hockey,” freshman Dylan Pavelek said.

Despite only registering one assist (courtesy of Carson Gatt) on the scoresheet during Michigan State’s shootout loss to Windsor, every freshman was noticeable at some point during the game

Michigan State head coach Tom Anastos was quick to point out the contributions of the freshmen during his postgame press conference.

Memo-1

All three freshmen that started (Josh Jacobs, Pavelek and Gatt) found themselves in key roles throughout the game.

Jacobs joined up with junior Travis Walsh as the starting defensive pairing. The two also saw considerable time on the power-play (MSU was 1-6 on the night).

Pavelek, who was playing with an injured wrist, found himself centering the third line and was 5-8 in the face-off department.

Gatt had the only point for the freshman class, earning an assist after feeding Brent Darnell on a beautiful two-on-one play.

Ed Minney served as backup to junior netminder Jake Hildebrand on Tuesday. However, he looked strong during the Green and White Game, making 10 saves in the first period.

The future is indeed very bright for Michigan State, as these freshmen will continue to get better and gain experience. Undoubtedly they look forward to making a huge impact on Spartan hockey, but for right now, all focus is on preparing for UMass, who come to Munn on Oct. 17 to open the Spartans’ regular season.

Jason Ruff is the host of Behind the Mask for Impact Sports.

Photo: Jonathan Yales/Impact Sports