Breaking down the Class of 2014: Tight Ends

The Spartans now have a plethora of depth at the tight end position with Matt Sokol and Montez Sweat joining the team this fall.

Last year, Josiah Price and Andrew Gleichert provided a huge offensive lift for the Spartans. With both of them returning, along with redshirt sophomore Jamal Lyles and junior Paul Lang, Sokol and Sweat will have plenty of opportunities to learn whether they play or redshirt their first season on campus.

* * *

TE Matt Sokol, Rochester Adams H.S. (Rochester, Mich.)

Sokol was one of two incoming freshmen to enroll early. He arrived in East Lansing in January and has size and athleticism to give the Spartans a lift at the tight end spot. At 6-foot-5-inch and 233 pounds, Sokol will learn from senior Gleichert and sophomore Price. Sokol turned down offers from Wisconsin, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan and Illinois, verbally committing to MSU in May of 2013.

TE Montez Sweat, Stephenson H.S. (Stone Mountain, Ga.)

Montez Sweat, a 6-foot-6-inch, 230-pound tight end, signed his National Letter of Intent to MSU in early February. Sweat was the 55th ranked tight end in the 2014 class according to 247sports.com.  After being heavily recruited by Florida, Sweat committed to Vanderbilt in May of 2013, only to change his mind and sign with Michigan State in December and sign his NLI in February.

Bradley Allen is a multimedia journalist for Impact Sports.

Photo: David Defever/Impact Sports