The State Logo
Rachel Fulton, Podcasts Director • March 28, 2024

DJ Spotlight of the Week | Paige Boyd

The dawn of a new week can only mean two things: classes start again, and it’s time for a new DJ Spotlight of the Week.

It’s Paige Boyd’s time to shine in the spotlight this time around. This graduate student is also the host of The Cultural Vibe, a show that specializes in hip-hop, rap, R&B, soul, funk, and reggae every Saturday from 8 PM to midnight.

1. What made you decide to join Impact and become a DJ?
I previously had some experience during my undergrad years (at a school that shall remain nameless), and I wanted to continue perfecting my craft. Impact intrigued me because we highlight several genres equally. There’s literally something for everyone.

2. What has been your best on air experience?
It happened during a music break, and someone called in with a request and also showed me love. They haven’t heard a female host The Vibe before, and they loved the “vibe” I was giving. (Pun intended.) Just knowing that people are listening and appreciating what I do is very encouraging to me. It lets me know that I’m doing something right.

3. How do you think working in radio will affect your future career and life experience?
I am studying to be in Radio Broadcasting, so I want to continue on a bigger scale after I graduate. The experience I’m gaining at Impact is great because not only is it teaching me a lot, but it is something I love to you. I love listening to music just as much as the fans, and that is amazing.

4. What is your favorite part of the station?
Definitely the room full of CDs we have in the office. Each show has a cubbyhole of the music sent over to us. I love looking through the boxes and see the different music, the different “audio flavors” we have sent to us. I also love interacting with the people who call in with their requests. They seem very excited to know that we are hearing them out and giving them the opportunity to be an active part of the show. It’s a great feeling.

5. If you could play an artist non-stop on the air, which would it be?
I would love to play Prince for a good weekend. He touched on several genres that I’m sure everyone would find themselves grooving to it. Also, I’m pretty sure a weekend full of his music would be possible. I mean, he DID have 39 albums. (LOL)

6. What is the best concert experience you have had? Why?
I honestly think the best concert experience I’ve ever had was Big Sean’s homecoming concert last year. It was on point the entire time. He performed every hit he had, plus the guest appearance were phenomenal! He had Lil Wayne, Mike Posner, Jhené Aiko, everybody. The highlight was when Big Sean did “Detroit Vs. Everybody” with Dej Loaf, Royce Da 5’9, Danny Brown, Trick Trick, and Eminem….which is especially huge because we all know Em doesn’t leave the crib for just ANYTHING. One word: EPIC.

Our next DJ Spotlight of the Week will be out on Monday, 9/19.