Michigan State volleyball facing top-five team on the road

MSU head coach Leah Johnson talks to her team during a match against No. 3 Nebraska/ Photo Credit: Jack Moreland

Faith Flickinger, Volleyball Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING – The Michigan State volleyball team is going on the road to face No. 5 Wisconsin. The Badgers are currently in the midst of a seven-game win streak against MSU. 

The Spartans are 1-7 in Big Ten play, while Wisconsin is 7-1. The Badgers have played the 12th toughest schedule according to the NCAA strength of schedule based on the records of past and future opposition. 

MSU is going into this match on a five-match losing streak, with a recent five-set loss against Indiana. 

In the match at Indiana, graduate senior Zoe Nunez got a double-double and freshman middle blocker Nil Okur got a service ace. Okur led the team in double-digit kills along with freshman outside hitter Selin Aslayan and middle blocker Rebecka Poljan.

MSU will be on the lookout for Wisconsin blocks. The Badgers continue to be one of the nation’s best blocking teams, ranking second with 3.13 blocks per set. Graduate student middle blocker Danielle Hart ranks second in the nation with 1.67 blocks per set.

Wisconsin is currently on a six-match winning streak with the most recent win against MSU rival, No. 25 Michigan. 

The Spartans will take on the Badgers on Oct. 21 at 8:00 p.m.