Lacie Hudson

East Lansing middle and high school students move to remote classes beginning April 12th: Beginning the week of April 12th, schools in the Ingham Intermediate School District service area will be moving to remote learning for middle and high school students due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in the community. Even though East Lansing Public Schools have have not seen an increase in cases within their classrooms, there has been a spike in cases from ages 10-19 years old and from 20-29 years old in East Lansing. Superintendent Dori Leyko ordered the instatement of remote learning to start the week after Spring break.

Governor Whitmer asks residents to avoid indoor dining, urges for the pause of youth sports: Instead of enacting new COVID-19 regulations or policies, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer urged high schools to pause in-person learning and youth sports — both school-sponsored and non-school sponsored — teams to suspend in-person activities, like games and practices, for the next two weeks to prevent additional outbreaks. Whitmer also recommended that Michiganders avoid indoor gatherings. These are not regulations or policies, only suggestions. There are still public health rules in place like the mask mandate, limits on indoor social gatherings and mandatory testing requirements.

Script writer: Kelly Winters

The State is produced by The State News and Impact 89FM.