Haley Sinclair

Michigan State to provide students COVID-19 vaccinationsJared Ramsey

MSU has been approved by the state to distribute COVID-19 vaccines to students. An email was sent out that vaccines will be available on campus as soon as Friday, April 9. The single -dosage, Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be available at the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education. It’s recommended students sign up for appointments ASAP because vaccines are given on a first-come-first serve basis. Upon arrival, its best to come 10-15 minutes ahead of time, make sure to have your student I.D or any other form of identification. Free rides from CATA will also be available for students to make sure they make it to their appointment.

Michigan State enrollment continues to drop in spring semesterWendy Guzman

Enrollment at MSU during the spring semester has seen the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since fall 2019, there was a 7.25% decrease in undergraduate enrollment. Before the pandemic, including graduate students there was a 1.75% decrease. Between fall 2020 and now there was a 5.61% decline.

MSU is not the only university facing a decline in enrollment, Central Michigan faced a decline between fall 2019 and fall 2020 with a 11.49% drop. Grand Valley State University enrollment jumped during spring 2020 to fall 2020 but during the spring of 2021 they saw a 8.54% decrease. Decline in enrollment has been attributed to lack of financial aid being available for students and changes in institutional education priority.

Ingham County bans hair discrimination, State Rep. Sarah Anthony discusses MI CROWN ActMyesha Johnson

Ingham County becomes the first Michigan County to ban hair discrimination among public employees. The Create a Respectful and Open World For Natural Hair Act is a law that many states including New York, California, Washington and various other states and counties have implemented already.

On Feb. 19 the Michigan CROWN Act was reintroduced by State Rep. Sarah Anthony. The bill amends the Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act of 1976, which prohibits the discrimination of religion, race, sex and other traits that is associated with race. The bill was introduced in 2019 but Anthony said that there was no support or a hearing for it. Currently the bill awaits the Judiciary Committee and has the support of 63 House Representatives.

Script: Chandra Fleming