MSU among finalists for three-star OT Ru’Quan Buckley

Mel Tucker instructs a player on proper hand usage/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING — Michigan State coach Mel Tucker may not be done improving the 2021 recruiting class.

After four-star defensive tackle Rayshaun Benny and three-star cornerback Steffan Johnson committed to MSU a week and a half ago, the Spartans are in the running for another talented recruiting prospect.

Three-star offensive tackle Ru’Quan Buckley (Grand Rapids) narrowed down his list of potential school choices to five on Friday afternoon. In addition to MSU, Buckley announced that he is considering Nebraska, Florida State, Minnesota and Cincinnati.

Buckley is rated the No. 14 overall prospect in Michigan and the No. 579 prospect nationally by 247Sports.com. He currently attends Godwin Heights High School in Grand Rapids and has a composite rating of 0.8709 by 247Sports—just below the threshold for a four-star prospect.

He also plays basketball for Godwin Heights.

Buckley is being recruited as an offensive tackle as well as a defensive end by the MSU coaching staff. His elite size at 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds will allow him to transition smoothly into the college game.

Allen Trieu, a leading recruiting expert for 247Sports, categorizes Buckley as a player who “shows flashes of nastiness and intensity.” Trieu also says that Buckley has “great upside and is only just scratching the surface of what he can be.” 

Although he may end up projecting as more of a defensive end, Buckley is still quite raw with his technique. However, his remarkable athletic ability and college-ready size make him a very enticing higher-level prospect.

Tucker has placed an emphasis on recruiting physical and powerful high school players. Audric Estime, Geno VanDeMark, Ethan Boyd, Derrick Harmon, A.J. Kirk, Hamp Fay and Kameron Allen are just some of the 2021 commits for MSU that possess exceptional strength and might. Buckley would be an outstanding addition to a Spartan recruiting class that is currently rated No. 42 in the country.

Before narrowing down his list of schools to five, Buckley also held offers from Arkansas, TCU, Oregon, West Virginia, Indiana, Purdue, Syracuse, Bowling Green, Colorado, Iowa State, Kentucky and Central Michigan.