Four student-athletes test positive for COVID-19 in latest round of testing

Spartan Stadium/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Chase Goff, General Assigment Reporter

EAST LANSING— The Michigan State athletic department conducted 71 COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests during the week of Oct. 29-Nov. 5. Of the 71 tests, 60 were administered to student-athletes, resulting in four positive tests. 11 staff members were also tested; all the results came back negative.

Since the beginning of June, the MSU athletic department has administered over 2,900 COVID-19 tests to student-athletes and other staff members. During this time, 148 student-athletes and 9 staff members have tested positive for the virus.

Due to the Big Ten COVID-19 guidelines, any student-athlete or staff member who attends practices or games must complete a daily COVID-19 antigen test. Anyone who tests positive will be in isolation for at least 21 days and continue to receive daily check-ins with the training staff throughout that time. Further testing is required before they are allowed to return to workouts.

The Big Ten has already had to cancel Wisconsin’s matchup with Nebraska last week, as well as their game this week against Purdue. With the Badgers having 27 active cases as of Nov.3, they will not be eligible to play again until Nov.14 against Michigan at the earliest.

A positive COVID-19 test will also force Minnesota defensive coordinator Joe Rossi to miss this week’s game against Illinois. 

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence will miss Saturday’s showdown against No. 4 Notre Dame after testing positive for COVID-19. 

The latest testing results for all students can be found on Michigan State’s COVID-19 dashboard.