Haley Sinclair, Case deKoning

Michigan State University’s IM Sports West Recreational and Fitness facility announced that it would open back up Monday, Oct. 26. COVID-19 procedures have been implemented to maintain the safety and well-being of the staff and students.

According to the Recreational Sports and Fitness Services website, mandatory safety measures include a health screening, cleaning and disinfecting, temporarily no access to locker rooms and the requirement masks as suggested by the CDC.

IM West also has a new airPHX system, a proprietary technology that generates oxidizing molecules from ambient air. The oxidizing molecules eradicate pathogens at a cellular level, including the Coronavirus.

The Spartans lost to Rutgers 38-27 in the first football game of the season Saturday. Prior to the game, Michigan State University Police took a firm stance against tailgating.

Last week, ELPD began issuing $500 fines for violating gathering limits. Currently, gatherings are limited to up to 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.

Despite several warnings from local authorities, parties ensued at seven locations on game day.

City officials originally encouraged an educational approach from police when it came to violating health orders; however, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues, police are now expected to use an enforcement approach.

Leading up to the Aug. 18 announcement from MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. asking undergraduate students to stay home for the fall semester, members of the class of 2024 were preparing for move-in day, buying dorm necessities and using their final week before making the move to campus to pack and say goodbye to family and friends at home.

Many freshmen are feeling disconnected from the university and fear they are missing out on key elements of the overall college experience because they are not on campus. The main concerns about the virtual setup of this semester are lack of academic resources and social interaction.

While upperclassmen are feeling the loss of the physical aspects of the college experience this year, freshmen are wondering what they’ve missed out on, and there’s a good possibility that remote learning will be their reality for a second semester, potentially even after.