MSU in the running for three-star CB Steffan Johnson

Mel Tucker/Photo: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- Mel Tucker may be on the verge of landing another ball-hawking cornerback in the 2021 recruiting class. 

Steffan Johnson, a teammate of current Spartan commit Charles “Chuck” Brantley at Venice High School (Venice, Florida) announced that in addition to Michigan State, Virginia, Marshall, Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic made the final cut for his services.

Earlier in the year, Johnson was committed to Rutgers, but he rescinded his commitment on July 25. In addition to being a Swiss Army knife for Venice, Johnson also runs track during the spring. 

Johnson, who is being recruited as a CB, has also received snaps at quarterback and wide receiver this season. He is a 6-foot, 160-pound multi-purpose athlete who would add tremendous speed and versatility to the back end of the Spartan defense.

According to 247Sports, Johnson, a three-star, is rated as the No. 131 CB prospect nationwide and the No. 210 overall prospect in Florida. Every Crystal Ball prediction on the site has Johnson choosing MSU. 

Johnson started seven games at QB in 2019 due to a rash of injuries; he helped lead Venice to an 8-5 record and a berth in the state semifinals. Overall, Johnson ran for 984 yards and 13 touchdowns to go along with 404 passing yards and five touchdowns.

He also started at QB for North Port High School (North Port, Florida) during his sophomore year of high school. 

While Johnson isn’t the highest-rated recruit, his unique versatility and game-breaking speed would allow the Spartans to incorporate him in a variety of different roles.  He would be an excellent, underrated addition to an already stout recruiting class.