Lacie Hudson, Case deKoning, and Haley Sinclair

The Ingham County Health Department is urging all local MSU students to self-quarantine immediately

At least 342 people affiliated with Michigan State University have tested positive for COVID-19 since Aug. 24. Officials hope this measure will help contain the outbreak.

In a release sent Saturday, the health department said the self-quarantine period should last for 14 days, continuing until Sept. 26. Students should remain at home other than to attend any in-person instruction, labs and intercollegiate athletic training or to obtain necessary food or supplies.

This is not an emergency order; however, the release stated that more mandatory restrictions will be imposed if students do not comply.

Michigan State Vice President and Associate Provost Denise Maybank will be returning to her alma mater, City University of New York, after accepting a new position as Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

During her 15 years at Michigan Stae, Maybank created the dorm neighborhood model on campus and led students events such as Sparticipation and other welcome week activities.

More recently, Maybank helped with MSU’s COVID-19 response by developing the MSU Community Compact and helping create the COVID-19 fund for students through the federal CARES Act.

Beginning on Sept. 28, Maybank’s duties will be given to Senior Vice President for Auxiliary Affairs Vennie Gore. Gore worked with Maybank to create the neighborhood model and also played a major role in expanding mental health resources on campus and creating the MSU Multicultural Center.

Essential workers will have the opportunity to receive tuition-free college education, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced last Thursday.

Futures for Frontliners, the first program of its kind in the United States, provides those who have worked the front lines throughout the COVID-19 pandemic the ability to earn free college credit at any of the state’s 28 public community colleges.

This program, which is funded by a 24-million-dollar investment from the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund, is designed to give back to the heroes that kept Michigan safe during the pandemic.