Michigan State lands three-star CB Jah’von Grigsby

Mel Tucker talks with offensive coordinator Jay Johnson/Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- Even though the football recruiting season is slowing down a bit, Michigan State is still trying to shore up the 2021 recruiting class. The Spartans added another talented piece to the fold on Friday as three-star CB Jah’Von Grigsby committed to Michigan State, the 14th overall commit in the 2021 class for Mel Tucker.

Grigsby (Baton Rouge, Louisana)  is a six-foot, 180-pound rangy safety with a passion for hitting who currently plays for Scotlandville Magnet High School in Baton Rouge. Last year, he helped lead Scotlandville to a 10-4 record and a berth in the Division I LHSAA playoffs. 

Grigsby is rated as the 19th-best overall prospect in Louisana and the 703rd overall prospect in the nation by 247Sports.com. Early crystal ball predictions had him choosing Vanderbilt, but over the past several days, most recruiting analysts switched their predictions for Grigsby to Michigan State. Grigsby was recruited heavily by Mike Tressel and Mel Tucker in the days leading up to his decision.

On top of being offered by MSU, Grigsby was also offered by Vanderbilt, Houston, Kansas, Auburn, Purdue, SMU, Indiana, Louisville and Miami (FL), among others. 

With Grigsby in the mix, Michigan State’s recruiting class, which is currently rated at No. 67 in the nation, will certainly climb a bit. The Spartans are also rumored to be the favorites to land four-star WR Antonio Gates Jr., son of legendary tight end Antonio Gates, and four-star running back Audric Estime.  If MSU can land these two prospects, the Spartans could suddenly possess a top-50 recruiting class in the country, which would be quite the accomplishment for Mel Tucker’s first year on the job.