Two student-athletes test postive for COVID-19 during latest round of testing

Breslin+Center%2FPhoto+Credit%3A+Michigan+State+Athletic+Communications+

Breslin Center/Photo Credit: Michigan State Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- Michigan State University conducted 206 total COVID-19 tests during the week of Aug. 24-28.  Out of the 206 tests, 176 were directed toward testing student-athletes, while the other 36 were used for testing athletic department staff members. Two student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 during the latest round of testing; no staff member tested positive.

The latest testing news comes on the heels of three-student athletes testing positive for COVID-19 between Aug.17 and Aug. 21. Within the last two weeks, the Spartans have had five total positive tests for the coronavirus.  

Since the MSU testing program launched in early June, over 1,350 total COVID-19 tests have been administered by Spartan’ medical personnel. In total, 36 student-athletes have tested positive for COVID-19 out of the 1,070 total tests given to various student-athletes. Five athletic department staff members have tested positive out of the 280 total tests administered to the athletic department faculty. 

The individuals who tested positive will be quarantined and isolated until COVID-19 symptoms subside, and they no longer test positive for the coronavirus. Regular medical check-ups and symptom monitoring will be performed daily by MSU medical personnel.

COVID-19 cases are continuing to emerge with regularity across the Midwest. Earlier today, the University of Iowa announced that it would be halting all team-sponsored university workouts after a whopping 93 people tested positive for COVID-19 between the week of Aug. 24-30.