MSU football players forced to quarantine for two weeks after two more positive COVID-19 results

Photo: Michigan State Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- After announcing that voluntary football workouts would be suspended after one football staff member tested positive for COVID-19 on July 22, the Michigan State athletic department announced in a press release on Friday that all members of the football team will be required to quarantine for two weeks after another staff member and a football player both tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday. 

“As part of the athletic department’s return to campus policy, student-athletes quarantine when coming into close contact with an individual who tests positive for COVID-19, the press release states. The university has designated areas available to house individuals in quarantine as needed based upon the living arrangements for student-athletes.” 

Surveillance testing was conducted on student-athletes on Wednesday, July 22. In order for the isolation period to be lifted, another round of testing will be repeated.

It was announced earlier in the week that the upcoming 20-hour football week would be postponed after one football staffer tested positive for COVID-19. Prior to the round of testing conducted on July 18-19 and July 22, the university conducted 402 total tests on student-athletes dating back to June 1; seven tested positive.   

104 athletic department employees were also tested before the latest round of testing on July 18-19 and July 22, dating back to June 15.   One member, who had no contact with any of the student-athletes who returned to campus, tested positive.