Michigan State announces extensive salary cuts for several members of athletic department

Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker. (Photo: MSU Athletic Communications)

Carter Landis, General Assigment Reporter

EAST LANSING – The Michigan State athletic department announced a comprehensive and widespread salary cutback plan on Thursday afternoon, according to a press release. The deduction is temporary and begins on Sept. 1, ending on Aug. 31, 2021. It applies to contracted employees making $100,000 or more. Head coaches Tom Izzo, Mel Tucker and Suzy Merchant will be among the coaches impacted. 

Tucker was slated to collect $5.5 million dollars this year, while Izzo was set to earn $3.5 million in 2020-21. Athletic director Bill Beekman will also take a 10% pay cut. Several of Tucker’s top assistants, including defensive coordinator Scottie Hazelton, offensive coordinator Jay Johnson, offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic, safeties coach Mike Tressel, defensive line coach Ron Burton and tight ends coach Ted Gilmore, also will be required to take a 7% pay cut, as they all make at least $500,000 a year in base pay.  

Employees with salaries of $500,000 or more will be required to take a 7% pay cut while employees who make between $100,000 to $149,999 will be mandated to accept a 2% decrease. 

“Although there is uncertainty about what the future holds, and impactful decisions are yet to be made, it’s safe to say that we will experience a significant reduction in revenue in the year ahead,” said Beekman in the press release. “I know this decision will impact staff members and their families, but the unfortunate reality is that we cannot make the budget reductions we’ll need to make without impacting our team.

“It’s part of a shared sacrifice that will benefit the entire athletic department, allowing us to remain student-focused and ensuring the health, safety and wellness of all within the department while navigating the challenges ahead.”

Follow Carter Landis on Twitter @CarterLandis3.