The State Logo
Rachel Fulton, Podcasts Director • March 28, 2024
March Sadness
March Sadness
March 27, 2024

Miles Bridges declares for NBA Draft

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The first in a number of NBA decisions for Spartan basketball players has been made.

Sophomore forward Miles Bridges announced in a tweet sent out Wednesday morning that he would enter the 2018 NBA Draft and sign with an agent, officially forgoing his final two years of eligibility at Michigan State.

Bridges led the Spartans in scoring during both of his seasons in the green and white. His 16.9 points per game last season ranked second among all freshmen in program history, just behind Magic Johnson’s 17.0 points per game in 1977-78. He followed that up by pacing the team with 17.0 points per game in his sophomore campaign, leading the team to a 10-win improvement from year to year and the 2018 Big Ten regular season championship.

“I think I speak for all of Spartan Nation in thanking him for how he represented us and for all of the great things he helped us achieve,” MSU coach Tom Izzo said in a statement. “He’s given us everything we could ask for and so much more.”

Bridges also ranked second on the team in rebounds (7.0) and third on the team in assists (2.8) in a season that garnered unanimous All-Big Ten honors while also being named a consensus All-American.

“Miles is a mature young man who has excelled on the court and has been an exemplary student,” Izzo said. “I think he’s ready to handle being a pro basketball player both on and off the court.”

The Flint, Mich. native shocked the college basketball world by announcing his return to East Lansing last April in a public press conference held at the Sparty statue at the center of the MSU campus. But there would be no repeat of the surprise announcement following his sophomore year.

“Miles wanted to come back to school this year because he loved Michigan State, he loved his teammates and friends and he loved being part of this community.”

Bridges announced he will sign with agent Rich Paul and Klutch Sports, the agency that represents NBA stars such as LeBron James, Ben Simmons, John Wall and Eric Bledsoe.