WR Hunter Rison to transfer from Michigan State

As first mentioned on “The Drive with Jack” on 92.1 The Team in Lansing, wideout Hunter Rison will transfer from Michigan State’s football program. Rison was an early enrollee at MSU early in 2017, and the true freshman saw time in 12 games, catching 19 passes for 224 yards.

Rison was listed as the No. 2 slot receiver behind Darrell Stewart for most of the season, and playing time is the likely motivation for the move. Former MSU legend Andre Rison was the first to give Jack Ebling’s local radio program the news of his son’s transfer.

“He told me that he appreciates everything that Michigan State’s football program has done, the coaches have done for him…but he wants to play more,” said Rison. “He feels as if he’s just as good as the guys that’s playing in front of him. He’s too talented to just waste a freshman year and just go by. He could have redshirted, he could have did a lot of different things for that matter.”

Rison is the second offensive player to transfer from the program following a 10-3 season in 2017. With Felton Davis III, Cody White and Stewart returning, provided there are no future transfers in the receiving corps, Rison’s departure may mean opportunities for Cam Chambers and Trishton Jackson, who had high expectations but were unable to translate those expectations into on-field performance.

In related news, Messiah deWeaver announced he will be transferring to East Missouri Community College, the junior college featured on the first two seasons of the Netflix series “Last Chance U”.