The State Logo
Rachel Fulton, Podcasts Director • March 28, 2024

Report: Michigan State will not renew contract of suspended football staffer Curtis Blackwell

Per the Detroit Free Press, MSU spokesman Jason Cody confirmed that Michigan State will cut ties with suspended football staffer Curtis Blackwell, whose contract is set to expire May 31.

Blackwell, the director of college advancement and performance for the football team, was suspended with pay on Feb. 9, following an accusation against three unnamed football players and a staff member for an on-campus sexual assault. The university has neither confirmed nor denied Blackwell’s involvement in the incident.

Blackwell reportedly received a letter from MSU athletic director Mark Hollis, which was obtained by the Free Press through the Freedom of Information Act, saying that Blackwell was suspended for “several allegations regarding [his] conduct.” In addition, the letter prohibited Blackwell from having any contact with athletes or recruits and from attending department events.

Blackwell was hired by Dantonio in August 2013 to help with recruiting. He was the co-founder of Sound Mind, Sound Body high school football camps, which promote a healthy lifestyle to high school athletes while exposing them to high-profile Division I coaches.

On March 1, 2016, he received a pay raise. His contract was originally set to expire on March 31, 2017 but was renewed twice for one month.

Blackwell has not immediately commented on the matter and the program has announced no other staff changes or reassignments.

The sexual assault investigation, stemming from an incident on Jan. 16, is currently in the hands of the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office. A Title IX investigation into the alleged assault determined that the three players violated university policy. No disciplinary action has been announced as of yet.