Impact Sports Daily – 3/28/24 – Opening Day
Jack David and Matt CouryMarch 28, 2024

Weatherhead Wins Home Tournament

Spartan sophomore Sam Weatherhead finished in first place this weekend in the singles portion of MSU’s home tournament, the Colleton River Collegiate. As a team, the Spartans finished in third behind second place Miami (OH), and winner Tennessee.

Weatherhead had a three round stroke total of 214 to finish tied with John Jackopsic of Boston College for first place. Michigan State head coach Casey Lubahn saw some major improvements in Weatherhead’s game.

“I think the biggest thing Sam did this week was manage his emotions and overcome adversity,” Lubahn said. “This win is just another step in the process as he develops into an elite player. Physically, his game has been progressing to this point for a long time, and now, I think he is starting to believe it.”

Charlie Netzel followed a first round 68 with a 76 and a 74. Mitch Rutledge had a solid three round total of 224, Gareth Lappin a 228, and Michael Sharp a 236.  The theme of the week had to be inconsistency.

“The team’s performance was inconsistent from hole-to-hole and round-to-round,” Lubahn said. “We made a lot of birdies and a lot of bogeys. Unfortunately, a lot of our bogeys are avoidable mistakes from situations we just didn’t take care of.”

Tennessee ran away from the competition from the first round to the finish. The Volunteers finished eight shots over par as a team following three rounds of play. Miami (OH) finished 16 over, and Michigan State finished 19 over.

“I believe the team was comfortable at Colleton River, but I wouldn’t say we took advantage of any prior knowledge we had,” Lubahn said. “Playing on a course that you are familiar with can work both ways and I think that maybe we were a little lax with our course prep.”

The Spartans are not satisfied with a third place finish and will aim to make significant improvements next week in the Talias Park Challenge in Naples, Florida.

“I don’t think third place is what this team shoots for anymore, but I do know that our bad weeks are getting better and that is a sign of a good team,” Lubahn said. “So far this spring, we are 25-6 and we are looking to build on that in Naples, Fla.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Michael Nyland is a multimedia journalist for Impact Sports.