Matt Merrifield, Allie Cohen, and Joseph DesVergnesMarch 27, 2024

Throwback Thursday — Flume | Bon Iver (2008)

With spooky season coming to a close, everyone has no choice but to retire the Halloween costumes and take down the skeletons from the door as we enter the whole new month of November. The cold weather, the fallen leaves and the looming seasonal depression make Bon Iver an essential anthem for the month to come and the perfect throwback. “Flume” is the first track off of Justin Vernon’s first released album, For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) and is easily the best song to introduce the album. This song incorporates a relaxing melody produced by Vernon’s vocals accompanied with an acoustic guitar rhythm that beautifully balance each other out. While many may recognize Bon Iver from his hit song, “Skinny Love,” that is also included in this album, “Flume” creates an image that can be easily recognized as one of the songs you’ve definitely listened to on a cold cloudy day.

If you’re looking for the perfect throwback album that accurately captures the sounds of fall, For Emma, Forever Ago should be your go-to. Experience the colors of fall with your headphones in, your sweater on and that runny nose you just can’t seem to get rid of.