DJ Spotlight of the Week | Audrey

This week’s DJ Spotlight is on Audrey aka DJ Gemini! As a student double majoring in Arts& Humanities and Media & Information with Doc Production Minor, she’s got her hands full. Not only is Audrey live every Monday from 4-6PM, but she is also Impact’s very own Station Manager! Remember to call in and request some songs from Princess Nokia!

1. What made you decide to join Impact and become a DJ?

The music! I was a little hipster in middle school and thought the Impact was a beacon of hope for hipness in my lame town.

2. What has been your best on air experience?

I have a lot. I love bringing in youth groups for the station to either do shout outs on air, or good around on the FIX. They think it’s the coolest thing!

3. How do you think working in radio will affect your future career and life experience?

Confidence and understanding team dynamics. Even though I don’t think I’m the best DJ, I still say pretty much whatever I want on air and make myself laugh (at least). Also, the Impact is diverse because there are sub-teams, but we are one community. Learning how to build unity across all the different teams and people is a challenge, but it’s very beneficial to everyone involved.

4. What is your favorite part of the station?

I like the seemingly limitless possibilities. I love watching my co-workers do things they never thought they could do. It’s a space for growth.

5. If you could play an artist non-stop on the air, which would it be?

Depends on the day. Mondays, Beach House. Fridays either Toro y Moi, or Thundercat. Something experimental that I don’t have to think about too hard to enjoy.

6. What is the best concert experience you have had? Why?

In middle school my favorite band was Tokyo Police Club (my locker was an altar to Dave Monks, I do not understand why) and they came to the Common Ground Music Festival and I talked to this random dude and asked if he could get me and these other kids I had met that day, backstage. It worked! I also bought them finger-puppets based off their personalities ( bc I really thought I knew them).

The next DJ Spotlight of the Week will be out on 3/22!