Impact Weekly Adds — All the new music you’ll hear on our station

Impact 89FM presents our first installment of weekly adds. Every week our Music Directors are hard at work searching for new perfect tunes our listeners will love. Don’t miss out on any new jams you might add to your playlist.

Here’s all the new music you’ll be hearing on the Impact this week. We hope y’all enjoy it as much as we do.

Artist: Slow Club
Album: One Day All of This Won’t Matter Anymore

Song: In Waves

Slow Club pieced this album together with Matthew E. White, producer at Spacebomb Studios. A transition from DIY in a car recording to using Spacebomb’s session band, the duo’s fourth album is a shift from the closeness the pair have illustrated in their earlier albums. A showcase of sorrow, One Day All of This Won’t Matter Anymore keeps Slow Club as one of the best break-up bands out there.

Artist: The Veils
Album: Total Depravity

Song: Low Lays the Devil

This track was produced by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds collaborator Adam Greenspan. The lead singer of the band, Finn Andrews, is set to appear in David Lynch’s Twin Peaks revival. Andrews said to NME, “‘Low Lays The Devil’ is a song about The Evil One, Big King Below, Beelzebub, the fallen angel, Mephistopheles, Mr. Moonshine. It’s got a beat as big as a house and it’s coming for you in your sleep. Enjoy.”

Artist: of Montreal
Album: Innocence Reaches

Song: Different For Girls

The album begins with a robotic voice asking “How do you identify?” This timely and discursive question reverberates throughout the album. The projects 14th LP, Innocence Reaches features a more light-hearted atmosphere than past albums. Barnes says of the album: “Forever I’ve been detached from current music. I got into this bubble of only being in some other time period. I came up picking apart the Beach Boys, The Beatles, and symphonic pieces. But last year, I was hearing Jack Ü, Chairlift, Arca, and others, thinking about low end and sound collage. It was an extra layer to geek out on.”

Artist: Cool Ghouls
Album: Animal Races

Song: Sundial

This band plays rock’n’roll in the purest sense of the word. Shine-On Promotions describes them by saying: “ They’re California natives. They try to do a good job. They like to try to elevate and get far out. They also like to keep it real. They like to make friends and have a good time. They don’t like bullshit. They want to keep growing and learning how to become more powerful musicians. This record reflects the discoveries they’ve made over the last five years about live performance, themselves, and each other.”

Artist: Picnic Lightning
Album: Picnic Lightning

Song: (Son Of) Fort Worth, Texas Is About To Explode

Sonic Bird features a biography of the band: “What is the opposite of the middle? Dark has light, truth has lies, God has Satan, but what (or who) is the middle’s foil? Theories abound, but it is the four gentlemen in Picnic Lightning who claim dominion over that murky abyss. They may hail from where the west begins, their feet may stomp Fort Worth concrete, but their music dwells in the shadowland of trenchant questions and orphic revelations.”

Artist: The Chairman Dances
Album: Time Without Measure

Song: Augustine

Boot & Saddle discuss the nature of The Chairman Dances’ first LP: “The album depicts the lives of 10 (mostly) activists who demanded progress and, in return, were demonized by the powers that be. These activists—each of whom has a song devoted to them, with their name serving as the song title—include Fannie Lou Hamer (a black civil rights leader reviled by southern Democrats), Dorothy Day (a Catholic anarchist), and a group of religious protesters dubbed the ‘Catonsville 9’ (who, during the Vietnam-era, broke into a government selective service building and burned draft files—the nine were later apprehended by the FBI.)”

Artist: Carl Broemel
Album: 4th of July

Song: 4th of July

Carl Broemel is a member of My Morning Jacket and is currently on tour with Ray LaMontagne’s band. This solo album was created in between gigs and, as described by Pirate promotions, “the result is an album that examines the passage of time marveling at how different our lives look now from the engrained images of ourselves that we’ve held onto from the past. 4th of July is a reflective meditation.”

Artist: Hoops
Album: Hoops EP

Song: Cool 2

This Indiana-based band is named after hoop houses in the greenhouses, where member Drew worked in high school. What started as his solo project now has four members. The band began by playing locally, slowly branching out to other midwestern cities. This EP is a culmination. With washed-out vocals, this band is perfect for fans of Mac DeMarco.

Artist: Lee Smythe
Album: Of Dreams

Song: Waste Away With Me

Planetary Radio said it best: “There’s something wrong with Lee, but it feels so right. Apparently Lee Smythe is living in the past, and would like all of us to join him there. He would like us to stay for a bit and maybe listen to records together. He would also like it if we brought some grass, brother. For Of Dreams, his 1st self-release, Lee’s revolution began in the studio, making a record organically the way his heroes had. It’s as authentic a sound as any you’ll find, and a rarity in a music world dependent on digital instruments.”

Artist: Stillwater Giants
Album: Patience SINGLE

Song: Patience SINGLE

Once again, we look to Planetary Radio: “For a band that’s only been around for a short time – Stillwater Giants have managed to put some very impressive notches on their belts. After originally being Unearthed by Triple J to play the Groovin’ the Moo festival and being selected as a Triple J Unearthed Next Crop Artist, they have cut a swathe through the venues of Australia, warming up the stage for some of the country’s finest bands like Birds of Tokyo, Eskimo Joe, Ball Park Music, British India, The Rubens, Regurgitator… and many more.”

Artist: Walter Schreifels
Album: An Open Letter To The Scene

Song: Ballad of Lil’ Kim

From Run For Cover Records, who also carry Modern Baseball, Tigers Jaw, Basement, Pity Sex, and more, comes  An Open Letter To The Scene. Walter Schreifels has been in Gorilla Biscuits, Youth Of Today, Quicksand, and Rival Schools, but this solo album shifts away from simply hardore and channels more Pinegrove than anything.

Artist: Crystal Castles
Album: Amnesty (I)

Song: Char

The end of an era. Amnesty (I) is the first album Crystal Castles has released since part of the duo, Alice Glass, left two years ago by saying “My art and my self-expression in any form has always been an attempt towards sincerity, honesty, and empathy for others. For a multitude of reasons both professional and personal I no longer feel that this is possible within CC.” The band lives on with new singer Edith Frances. Starting at (I) is a new slate after Crystal Castles, 2010’s Crystal Castles II, and 2012’s (III).