Payton Thorne and Keon Coleman enter NCAA transfer portal

Payton Thorne looks up the field to make a pass during Michigan State’s Spring Game on April 14, 2023. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Jay DeCoster, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING – Michigan State football got hit with some abrupt news on Sunday afternoon, as redshirt senior quarterback Payton Thorne and junior wide receiver Keon Coleman are entering the NCAA transfer portal, according to reports. 

Thorne threw for 6,494 yards, 49 touchdowns, and 29 interceptions during his time in East Lansing. In 2021, he broke the school record for most touchdown passes thrown in a single season with 26. 

In 2022, Thorne finished the year throwing for 2,679 yards, 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. 

Thorne’s departure signals a two-quarterback competition for MSU, as redshirt junior Noah Kim and redshirt freshman Katin Houser will most likely be battling for the No. 1 spot. 

Coleman led all Michigan State wide receivers in 2022, with 58 receptions, 798 yards and seven touchdowns. The 6-foot-4 wideout became the focal point in the Spartans’ offense in 2022, and will likely draw significant interest from other schools. 

Coleman also appeared on the basketball court at Michigan State, playing in six games during the 2021-22 season.