Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers with a high of 48 degrees and a low of 32 degrees.

MSU breaks ground on future multicultural center

Construction on the new multicultural center is officially underway after MSU hosted a ground-breaking ceremony on April 21. The project will be the first free-standing multicultural center on campus after decades of student advocacy.

Interim president Teresa Woodruff said the center will be a space for people to have critical conversations, be themselves, have fun and learn. She said the center will be a physical symbol of the university’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.

Woodruff said the center was intentionally designed to foster this mission. It will have common areas, an amphitheater, outdoor space and room for events and collaboration.

The ceremony last week marked a crucial moment in the decades-long process to create a multicultural center. Miracle Chatman, an alumnus who spent years advocating for the center, said the push began during the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. For decades, students protested for increased and improved representation on MSU’s campus.

Senior Vice President for Student Life and Engagement Vennie Gore said a key aspect of planning for the project was the inclusion of student voices. There are 22 student representatives involved in the project, five of whom spoke at the ceremony. There were dozens of other students, alumni, faculty, administrators and staff at the ceremony who were recognized for their efforts throughout the years.

The center will be located at the intersection of Shaw and Farm Lane, this location was chosen specifically because it is the center of campus.

Environmental groups connect with students at fair ahead of Earth Day

The University Activities Board, or UAB, and Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, hosted a Sustainability and Resource Fair last Thursday. The event gave students the opportunity to learn about environmental clubs and sustainable practices.

The event was part of ASMSU’s “Earth Week,” a series of events dedicated to promoting sustainability ahead of Earth Day which was Saturday.

Various environmental groups set up stands to share their mission with attendees. Earth Day-themed arts, crafts, and desserts were offered.

Beal Botanical Garden organization members attended to inform students about the resources it provides to students. The organization is also hosting a “Giving Earth Day Drive” to raise money for the garden’s Red Cedar River Restoration Project, which will “tackle invasive species” and restore native habitat.

Also, MSU Sunrise Movement attended to promote their overarching goal of helping MSU to achieve a “green clean future.”

Students ease end-of-semester stress with Afro-Brazilian Capoeira class

The Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies hosted an introductory Capoeira class at the International Center this past Friday.

Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian activity that combines elements of dance, martial arts and music. Approximately 30 students were involved in the class.

A huge goal was that the organization wanted to put an emphasis on the history behind Capoeira.

Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies Outreach Coordinator Joy Whitten said the practice of Capoeira originated from enslaved people looking to learn how to defend themselves in a discreet manner in Brazil in the 1800s.

Capoeira wasn’t legalized in Brazil until the 1940s, according to Whitten.

Whitten said the Capoeira class offered students an opportunity to “blow off some steam” because of the stress that often accompanies the end of the semester.

Based on original reporting by Amalia Medina, Hannah Holycross and Jaden Beard.