Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly sunny skies with a high of 81 degrees and a low of 52 degrees.

Record number of public relations students to graduate this spring

This spring, a record number of Michigan State University students will graduate with a public relations degree.

Twenty-five students completed the public relations graduation requirements.

After the major officially began in fall of 2020, the number of students enrolled has continued to climb over the years. The number of declared public relations students has nearly doubled since spring of 2022, from 89 to 164.

Some of the job titles that public relations professionals have include being an account executive at an agency, content strategist, social media manager and specialist. Many public relations graduates end up working with social media, whether that be on the west coast or in New York City.

Influencer relations are also a growing segment of the industry. This involves working and partnering with influencers and brands.

There are 12 required classes to complete the major and each focuses on a different aspect of public relations practice.

Board hopes to pick president by Thanksgiving, assemble committee in coming days

The chair of the committee searching for Michigan State University’s next president shared an updated timeline and new details. This comes just days before six planned “community input sessions” where students and staff can share their thoughts on what they want out of MSU’s leader.

MSU trustee Dennis Denno, who has been tapped to lead the search, hopes to have a job description by June, so the executive search firm Isaacson, Miller can begin picking candidates.

He said ideally, the board would announce its selection by Thanksgiving in November.

The vacancy was created in October 2022, when former president Samuel L. Stanley Jr. resigned, citing a loss of confidence in the board. The board has appointed former provost Teresa Woodruff to act as interim president.

Denno said they are also currently soliciting “names and ideas” for the full search committee, and that they are hoping to have it completed in time for a series of “community listening sessions” beginning later this week.

Faculty and academic staff can nominate themselves or others to serve on the committee until noon of tomorrow. Those nominations will be reviewed by faculty members on the university’s Steering Committee and communicated to the board, according to an email to staff obtained by The State News.

Also, a presidential search website has been created and includes sections for search updates and community input.

Malik Hall announces his return to MSU for the 2023-24 season

Senior forward Malik Hall joined his teammate, senior guard Tyson Walker, as he announced his return for a fifth and extra year of eligibility with the Spartans Tuesday night. The news was made public on Hall’s personal Twitter account.

Hall has been a key member of Michigan State men’s basketball’s program since 2019, and was easily the most experienced player on the 2022-23 roster.

After sitting out for the majority of the season due to a foot injury, the veteran forward plans to return for one last year in green and white. Head men’s basketball coach Tom Izzo often described Hall as the most versatile player on the 2022-23 roster. Hall is a two-way player who can play a variety of positions.

Hall will rejoin his teammates after a Sweet Sixteen run along with the new players joining the program in the No. 3 recruiting class per 247 Sports.

Based on original reporting by Selma Cogo, Alex Walters and Melanie Soverinsky.