Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies early and then partly cloudy in the afternoon with a high of 48 degrees and a low of 35 degrees. For the weekend it looks like it will be mixes of rain and sun with higher 40s.

Have a great weekend!

Students left ‘tense’ after person seen with weapon near campus

At 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Michigan State University police informed students of a person seen with a knife “at or near” West Circle Drive through an MSU alert. The suspect was located by East Lansing police and was taken into custody before 1:30 p.m.

Psychology senior Ariel Zander was walking to class when she got the alert. She changed her plans and went into the nearest building which was Olds Hall to take shelter.

“It’s kind of confusing because MSU isn’t really saying anything,” Zander said as she was sheltering in place. “Now with these alerts it’s more serious because before the shooting I didn’t really take them serious but now it’s more scary.”

“I’m definitely on edge,” Zander said.

The Feb. 13 mass shooting on campus prompted the university to require MSU IDs to get inside many academic buildings between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. — meaning academic buildings were still open to the public during the time that the alert went out.

Journalism senior Brooke Miller was in a lecture in the Communication Arts and Sciences building when her professor paused the class to ask students what was going on. Her professor then told the class to stay on top of the alert and let him know of any updates.

In a video posted to Twitter at 2:01 p.m., Police Chief Chris Rozman said there was no danger to the public and the suspect had been taken into custody by police. He said the department acknowledged that the alerts sent out in response to Wednesday’s incident may have triggered emotions.

For resources, the MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services, or CAPS, is available 24/7 for those who need it.

MSU hockey adds Red Wings draft pick Red Savage from transfer

Since the transfer portal opened on Monday, Michigan State hockey has already snagged a few promising additions to its roster, the latest being sophomore forward Red Savage from Miami (OH).

Savage, who took to Twitter to announce his commitment on Wednesday, was selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the fourth round of the 2021 NHL draft, before spending the last two seasons with the Redhawks. During his time at Miami, Savage notched 13 goals and 17 assists across 67 games.

MSU head hockey coach Adam Nightingale coached Savage at the USNTDP during the 2020-21 season. In this tenure with the U17 and U18 National teams, Savage produced 26 points in 31 games.

Savage is the second player to come to MSU from the transfer portal, so far, after UMass’ Reed Lebster announced his commitment on social media Tuesday.

Meanwhile, five Spartans have signed contracts with professional teams. Four others entered the transfer portal on Monday, including sophomore forward Jesse Tucker who found his new home with Clarkson.

Lebanese Student Association promotes cultural representation, empowerment of heritage

Through multiple events like study sessions, an MSU World Cup tournament and galas, the Lebanese Student Association, or LSA, provides opportunities for all students, especially those of Middle Eastern or Lebanese origin.

Event coordinator Marena Haidar said LSA’s events give her a break from her daily school work and social life.

The MSU World Cup tournament, cohosted by the Iraqi American Union, LSA and Egyptian Student Association, kicked off on Saturday, March 18 and Sunday, March 19 featuring 16 teams representing different countries.

LSA is predominantly active on its Instagram with event information, e-board updates, and more.

Based on original reporting by Hannah Holycross, Maddy Warren and Julius Patto.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home athletic line-up for the weekend…

Tonight

• Baseball will go against Purdue at 4:05PM at McLane Stadium.
  • Softball will play Wisconsin at 5PM at Secchia Stadium.

Saturday

• Women’s tennis will go up against Minnesota at 11AM at the Indoor Tennis Center.
  • Softball will go up against Wisconsin at 1PM at Secchia Stadium.
  • Baseball will play Purdue at home Saturday at 3:35PM at McLane Stadium.

Sunday

• Women’s tennis will play Wisconsin at 11AM at the Indoor Tennis Center.
  • Softball vs. Wisconsin at 1PM at Secchia Stadium.