Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 36 degrees and a low of 16 degrees.

Bringing the love back to campus: ASMSU’s Spartan Love Fund

The Associated Students of Michigan State, also known as ASMSU, have organized a fund for registered student organizations of Michigan State University specifically for events for students created by students.

“The Spartan Love Fund was established by ASMSU to be able to promote the health and wellness of undergraduate Spartans especially with the events of Feb. 13,” ASMSU’s PR director Brandi Stover said.

ASMSU officers worked closely with the student government at the University of Virginia to figure out the best way to aid the student body in healing in the aftermath of the mass shooting.

While being at MSU means you are a part of the Spartan community, there are also many other communities to be a part of.

Putting the community back together is something that the university and ASMSU have been working at with different events and accommodations put in place throughout the past few weeks.

All registered student organizations qualify for these funds, but they must put it in an application.

“We’ve kind of found that as students the time we feel the best are when we are with each other and when we have that sense of community between us all,” Stover said. “A big part of that community on campus is our registered student organizations.”

No. 7 seed MSU to take on No. 10 seed USC in first round of NCAA Tournament in Columbus

During Sunday’s NCAA selection show following the conclusion of conference tournament play, it was announced that No. 7 seed Michigan State will take on the soon to be Big Ten conference team, No. 10 seed USC in the East region first round.

The two will face off in Columbus, Ohio this Friday afternoon. Tipoff is slated for 12:15 p.m.

The Trojans (22-10) finished 14-6 in the Pac-12 conference. During their trip to the 2022 NCAA tournament, No. 7 seed USC fell to No. 10 seed Miami in the first round of the tournament.

The winner of Friday’s contest will take on whoever emerges victorious from the No. 2 seed Marquette versus No. 15 seed Vermont matchup in the second round on Sunday.

The 2022-23 season NCAA tournament marks 25 consecutive appearances under head coach Tom Izzo, the most under a single head coach in Division I history.

CATA CEO apologizes to students displaced by buses on night of Feb. 13

Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, CEO Bradley Funkhouser apologized for the experiences of some students on the night of Feb. 13, when they were displaced after a shelter-in-place order was put out during the shooting on campus.

At least two bus drivers on the 31 Route had students get off the bus while the order was still in place. One student recounted being told to get off at a CATA bus station, while another was told to get off at Rather Hall in the Brody neighborhood, despite not living there.

Funkhouser went on to apologize to “those who were made to feel unsafe during the horrific incident.”

He clarified that CATA does not require students to exit vehicles during a shelter-in-place situation. CATA is investigating reports that bus drivers told students to exit the buses.

Funkhouser said he is proud of the CATA drivers who “responded to the call for support of students who did their best under very trying circumstances,” and said bus drivers “swept campus,” looking for students who were stranded and needed to be evacuated.

He said, “we will evaluate our response to this tragedy and make improvements to better prepare for the unthinkable, and to keep our riders and operators safe.”

Based on original reporting by Maddie Dallas, Melanie Soverinsky and Dan Netter.