Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies and windy with a high of 36 degrees and a low of 27 degrees.

‘It makes me proud to go here’: Spartans support Spartans in ‘Spartan Sunday’ event

In the days following Monday’s mass shooting at Michigan State University, the campus streets and walkways fell cold and empty.

The tragedy took the lives of three Spartans, hospitalized five others and pushed countless students back home — fleeing after a four-hour shelter-in-place and the loss of their classmates. Those who stayed kept to their dorms and apartments. However, something Sunday afternoon pulled students and community members back onto campus.

The event aimed to brighten up campus before classes began again Monday. Trash cleanup, sign-making and crafts were all available to students and community members who chose to take part.

MSU students and staff also made an effort to bring more color to campus by drawing with chalk on sidewalks as well as drawing on the windows of the Main Library.

This event’s goal was to give hope to the Spartan community and remind everyone of the beautiful campus and family we have here in East Lansing.

‘I want to be mindful of how students feel’: Professors make accommodations

As the university returned to classes yesterday, one week after the on-campus mass shooting, some professors are making accommodations to help students.

Epidemiology and biostatistics associate professor David Barondess and Spanish assistant professor Alejandra Márquez are two of the many instructors adjusting their classroom policies and schedules.

Márquez said while she is holding her classes in person for students who would prefer a sense of normality, she is also providing a Zoom link for those who are not ready to return yet. She will not take attendance until spring break and may remove her attendance policy entirely for the remainder of the semester.

As for the accommodations Barondess is making, he said all remaining exams and quizzes will be open-note and will no longer require a lockdown browser. Barondess encourages students to take exams in-person if they need help, but will allow remote exam-taking as well.

Barondess said he has been attending webinars through the university and the College of Human Medicine to learn what steps to take next. The topics include how to teach in a crisis or after a traumatic event.

“We’re having conversations and we’re brainstorming and we’re giving each other ideas to try to get to a place that’s good for the students,” Márquez said.

‘With us forever’: Hundreds line up for tattoos benefitting MSU mass shooting victims’ families

At 5:30 p.m. this past Sunday, five hours after the first tattoo was inked, the line outside of Ink Therapy Lansing was trailing outside of the doors. Some groups waited more than two hours to get the Spartan helmet or a green heart tattooed — art that supported the victims of the mass shooting.

Ink Therapy offers pre-selected tattoo options centered around MSU. Half of the proceeds will go to the victims’ families to help cover their expenses.

The turnout was more than they had expected. 500 people had lined up by the time the shop opened and the line wrapped around the block. Corey Warren, owner of Ink Therapy Lansing said he wouldn’t describe himself as excited, but humbled.

Warren said it’s not about Ink Therapy and it’s not about the tattoos. The event, he said, is for uniting the community and the meaning behind the hashtag that has been shared since Monday: Spartan Strong.

Brittini Warren, Corey’s wife and shop manager of Ink Therapy, was the one who came up with the idea for the event. She was in the middle of getting a tattoo when she heard about the shooting. She became extremely emotional and wanted to do anything to support those affected by it.

She said the turnout has “pulled on every single one of her heartstrings.”

The tattoo shop will continue this deal through this week until Saturday.

Based on original reporting by Chloe Trofatter, Maddy Warren and Liz Nass.