Keon Coleman will not play basketball this season, will focus on football

Keon Coleman warms up with Michigan State’s basketball team ahead of the Spartans’ game against Buffalo on December 30, 2022. Photo Credit: Jack Moreland/WDBM

Luca Melloni, Sports Editor

EAST LANSING — Michigan State announced on Tuesday that sophomore wide receiver and guard Keon Coleman will not be a part of the basketball team this season and will focus on his football development, according to a statement. 

The announcement came a week after the team said that Coleman joined basketball practice. He will focus on spring football for head coach Mel Tucker. 

Keon Coleman and I spoke at length this week and we came to the joint decision that it would be best for him to focus on his football career and not join the basketball team at this time,” head men’s basketball coach Tom Izzo said on Tuesday. 

The 6-foot-4 guard was a highly-rated three-sport athlete from Opelousas Catholic in Louisiana. He starred in football, basketball and track and field before he was recruited to Michigan State for football and basketball. 

Coleman has 65 career receptions for 848 yards and eight touchdowns for the Spartan football team in his first two seasons. He also led the team in catches in 2022 with 58. 

“Keon [Coleman] had a great football season, and it’s in his best interests to take the next few months to get ready for spring football, while also taking care of his academic obligations,” Izzo said. 

On the hardwood, Coleman featured in six games for Izzo’s side and recorded his first career points against Michigan on Jan. 29, 2022. 

“I love Keon and have such great admiration for him, but I also want what is best for him and his future,” Izzo said. “I’m glad we agreed that this was the best plan of action moving forward.”