Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunshine and clouds mixed with a high of 38 degrees and a low of 16 degrees.

Bowl aspirations must wait another week for MSU after second-half collapse

In frigid temperatures, wind, and snow flurries, the Spartans fell to Indiana in a heartbreaking, double-overtime thriller.

The last home game of the season for the Spartans ended 39-31, with two teams vying to keep their chances of making a bowl game alive.

After a dominant first half, Michigan State had an abundance of errors in the second half, including an interception, an 88-yard punt return for a touchdown, and a 79-yard rushing touchdown to open the third quarter. An additional touchdown by Indiana’s Josh Henderson knotted the score at 31 apiece near the end of the fourth.

Heading into the period, the snow ramped up, and the crowd shifted down near the field.

At fourth-and-7, with the game on the line, head coach Mel Tucker called one final timeout to talk things over with his offense.

“We wanted to make sure we had the right plays,” Tucker said in the press conference after the game.

A final pass from Payton Thorne to Jayden Reed was ruled incomplete, concluding the duo’s touchdown-filled era at Spartan Stadium, with one final effort that fell short.

Saturday’s loss was a disheartening finish to one of the best offensive performances of the season.

“I was just trying to just do everything I could for Spartan nation, Spartan dawgs, and all the Spartan alum. Everybody that represents green and white across the world,” Elijah Collins said.

With one game remaining in the regular season, the Spartans are still one win shy of bowl eligibility.

Michigan State’s bowl hopes now rest on the final game of the season. The Spartans will travel north to take on Penn State this Saturday.

Vehicle flips on Grand River Avenue, no injuries

A vehicle flipped over on Grand River Ave. near its intersection with Spartan Ave. due to a crash on Saturday night. There were no injuries.

East Lansing Police Department officer Jim Menser was on the scene, which took place in front of Pincanna and Conrad’s Grill. He said one of the vehicles appeared to turn left in front of the other.

Menser said the department will analyze footage from Pincanna to see what caused it.

Security escorts Sunrise MSU for divestment protest at Spartan Stadium

A protest by student organizers with MSU’s chapter of the Sunrise Movement was stopped by Spartan Stadium security during MSU’s final home game against Indiana.

During the game, Sunrise students stood at the top of the stands and unraveled banners reading “NO OIL MONEY” and “TRUSTEES: DIVEST NOW.”

Their protest is part of the group’s larger push for full divestment from fossil fuels by MSU’s Office of Investments and the board’s investment committee.

Comparative cultures and politics sophomore Jesse Estrada-White said that they stood with the signs visible for about ten minutes before the intervention. However, it may have felt longer than it truly was, “given the cold.”

Eventually, Estrada-White said organizers gave security the banners and followed the guard down through the stadium. The guard then threw the banners in the trash, and when Sunrise organizers went to retrieve them, Estrada-White said they “got kicked out; they basically told us we had to leave.”

MSU Deputy Spokesperson Dan Olsen said that based on his talks with Spartan Stadium management, the Sunrise students were permitted to stay at the game as long as they gave up their signs.

Estrada-White said organizers weren’t aware of the rule before the protest.

“Our statement’s the same,” Estrada-White said. “It’s shameful that MSU is investing in fossil fuels. We urge them to … reinvest in ways that support our communities.”

Based on original reporting by A.J. Evans, Morgan Womack and Alex Walters.