DJ Spotlight of the Week: Evan

Paige Drob, Training Director

Senior Music Review volunteer and DJ Evan Coberly has been here for a good time, not a long time. Although he has only been here for a year, he does every shift like a pro. Also known as DJ EC, Evan can be heard on air every friday from 10am-12pm. 

Where are you from?

Rockford, MI (it’s a lil’ suburb outside Grand Rapids).

Favorite song/album of 2021/22 

So far from 2022, it’s gotta be Peach Pit’s From 2 to 3.

What made you decide to join The IMPACT and become a DJ?

When I was at freshman orientation back in July 2019, I spoke with some people at the Impact booth and was really hoping to volunteer as a live DJ, but with a busy schedule and then COVID in 2020, I wasn’t able to work with the station until this year. Once this school year started, especially since it’s my last year at State, I promised myself that if there was something I wanted to do, I would make it happen. I signed up and got involved with the Impact as soon as I could!

What has been your best on-air experience?

The Friday before spring break I was living in request city and got the most audience participation I’d ever received in a shift. It was a ton of fun and definitely a nice shake-up from the normal station rotation.

What is the best concert experience you have had? Why? 

While the whole “concert experience” wasn’t the most amazing thing, the local house shows I went to back in middle school and high school are definitely my most memorable and impactful concert experiences. They made me fall even harder in love with music and want to become a musician.

How do you think working in radio will affect your future career and life?

DJing on the radio has definitely improved my public speaking and communication skills, which will be incredibly helpful for me as a future teacher!

Favorite Dining Hall? 

SnyPhi, 100%

Campus Squirrels or Campus Ducks?

Campus Squirrels— I’m a big fan of how chill those guys are.

Plan a dinner in East Lansing with any person dead or alive. Who would it be? Where would you go?

I’d go to Sapporo Ramen with videogamedunkey, then hang with him over at Pinball Pete’s.

What is your comfort TV show?

Either Steven Universe or Freaks and Geeks.

Favorite College Memory?

Cheering with all the students in the SnyPhi cafeteria at the holiday dinner after a group of people successfully stacked eight of those table information things into a giant tower. Easily the most legendary moment I’ve witnessed at MSU.