How a Chinese chip ban shut down a security camera at Yakeley Hall

In November 2021, following the disappearance of Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo, Michigan State University faced safety concerns after it was discovered that the Yakeley Hall surveillance camera that Santo had walked by was not operating the night he went missing.

The camera was not broken. It had been taken offline weeks prior due to it using a Chinese computer chip banned by a 2020 federal law.

The Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019 became law on March 12, 2020, aiming to prohibit federal subsidies from being used to purchase communication equipment that posed “national security risks.”

The Yakeley Hall camera, as well as a number of others on campus, was an aging analog device, and it required a converter to transform it into a digital format.

The converter utilized a chip made by one of the FCC’s blacklisted companies, Huawei Technologies.

Ukrainian Student Organization holds webinar with former US Ambassador to Ukraine

On March 3, the USO, known as the Ukrainian Student Organization, in association with MSU’s Center for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies held a webinar featuring former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine William B. Taylor.

The webinar was brought together by Yuri Tomkiw, president of USO.

Taylor, alumnus of West Point University, served as an infantry platoon leader, a company combat commander in the U.S., Vietnam and Germany and also served as a U.S. ambassador to Ukraine from 2006-2009.

In 2019 he served as the chargé d’affaires in the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv and is currently vice president of Russia and Europe as the United States Institute of Peace.

Russia previously invaded Ukraine in 2014, specifically in eastern Donbas and Crimea where Russian forces have been since then.

NSNC advises students on having a responsible St. Patrick’s Day

St. Patrick’s Day is one of the biggest drinking days of the year, according to the National Institute of Drug Abuse.

With the approach of the holiday, the National Social Norms Center, or NSNC, at Michigan State University is reminding Spartans to take precautions while celebrating.

NSNC does not seek to dissuade students from drinking but hopes to remind students that drinking without the proper safety precautions can have devastating effects.

The main points to follow on St. Patrick’s Day are to go out with friends, avoid mixing drinks, stay in the same location and call for help if necessary.

Based on original reporting by Drew Goretzka, Ashley Zhou, and Madison Rose. Script by Shakyra Mabone.