Michigan State student found dead in residence hall

Shaw Hall/Photo Credit: MSU

Daniel Puentes, Co-host of The Sci-Files

EAST LANSING – This past Tuesday night, a Michigan State student was found deceased in Shaw Hall. The student was identified as Monica Ibarra. Ibarra was a sophomore in the Psychology program. Ibarra was also a Shaw Hall resident. The cause of death is still currently being investigated and will be reviewed by the medical examiner, as explained by MSU deputy spokesman Dan Olsen.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the student. This was a tragic incident, and we are working closely with the family and those close to the student to provide support and resources,” Olsen said in a statement.

This is one of a few other incidents that have taken place on campus this academic year. Last semester another MSU student, Phat Nguyen, was found dead from alcohol consumption at a fraternity party and a Grand Valley State student, Brendan Santo, went missing after leaving Yakeley Hall towards Brody Neighborhood during Halloween weekend. “I only found out about the student that passed away this morning from my roommate who saw on I think Reddit probably. I don’t know much that happened but it’s definitely shocking considering that we just got back to campus and there could be a variety of causes,” says MSU student Nicole Currie, who was interviewed by WLNS. “I think it would be good if the university addressed it so we could feel better with the start of the semester but yeah I really don’t know what happened.”

Olsen affirmed that “There is no threat to the community at this time,” that would impact the safety of other students currently living on campus. 

Deputy Olsen also shared resources for students to use to manage the grief some people may experience because of this tragedy. These resources include MSU’s Counseling and Psychiatric Services for students and the Employee Assistance Program for employees. Students living in residence halls are also encouraged to meet with Residence Education Staff who are also available to listen and support students during the grieving process. Students can also visit our resources page where they can find different groups for support.