MSU has three more players enter the transfer portal

MSU+wide+receiver+Ian+Stewart+%2880%29+makes+a+contested+catch+over+the+middle+during+fall+practice%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU wide receiver Ian Stewart (80) makes a contested catch over the middle during fall practice/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—Michigan State football had a trio of players enter the transfer portal Monday, according to multiple reports. Redshirt freshman linebacker Cole DeMarzo, redshirt freshman Ian Stewart, and freshman tight end Kameron Allen all have entered the portal, increasing the total number of Spartans in the portal to 15.

DeMarzo, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound linebacker from Hilton Head, South Carolina, committed to play for the Spartans in August of 2019 as a part of the 2020 recruiting class. He was ranked as the No. 1351 overall player in his class and the No. 92 outside linebacker prospect by 247Sports. DeMarzo only appeared in one game in his Michigan State career, playing in the Spartans’ road victory against Rutgers. He did not record any statistics in the game. 

A three-star recruit, DeMarzo initially committed to MSU on Aug. 11, 2019. He chose MSU over Cincinnati, Appalachian State, Army, Marshall and Toledo. MSU was the only Power Five offer that DeMarzo received out of high school.

Stewart, a 6-foot-3, 200 pound wide receiver from Rockwood, Michigan, committed to the Spartans on May 18, 2019, and was part of the 2020 recruiting class. He was ranked as the No. 661 overall player in his class and the No. 20 player in the state of Michigan by 247Sports. 

Before choosing MSU, he had offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Indiana, Duke, Minnesota, Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia and Purdue, among others. 

Stewart redshirted in 2020 and only appeared in four games on special teams. He also switched to tight end upon arriving at MSU, but moved back to receiver before the 2021 season. He made one catch in his Spartan career, going for eight yards against Youngstown State. 

Allen, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound tight end from Forney, Texas, committed to the Spartans in April of 2020 as part of head coach Mel Tucker’s inaugural recruiting class at Michigan State. He did not play in any games as a true freshman. 

MSU tight end Kameron Allen makes a diving catch during the 2021 spring game/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

According to 247Sports, Allen was the No. 67 overall tight end prospect within the 2021 recruiting class. He had offers from Arizona, Missouri, NC State, Boise State and San Diego State, among others.

The Spartans now have sent 13 players to the transfer portal and have brought in four. Stewart becomes the second Spartan wide receiver to enter the portal after redshirt freshman Ricky White announced his intentions to transfer on Dec. 6. 

Allen is the second tight end to enter the portal following redshirt junior Trenton Gillison, who entered his name on Dec. 10. DeMarzo is the second linebacker to enter the portal after redshirt sophomore Chase Kline entered his name in September. Kline has since signed with Eastern Michigan.