MSU adds 3-star CB Caleb Coley

MSU head coach Mel Tucker watches warmups in the Spartans’ 40-29 loss to Purdue/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—Michigan State football got a surprise on Early National Signing Day, landing a commitment from three-star cornerback Caleb Coley. Coley, who signed his National Letter of Intent Wednesday morning, becomes the sixth player from the state of Georgia to sign for head coach Mel Tucker’s 2022 recruiting class. He is also the second cornerback to sign with the Spartans in this class, joining three-star IMG Academy product Ade Willie. 

Coley, a 5-foot-11, 166-pound cornerback from Warner Robins, Georgia, is ranked as the No. 410 overall player in the nation and the No. 42 cornerback by 247Sports.com. He was originally committed to Vanderbilt before decommitting on Nov. 1st. 

After his commitment to the Commodores in July, Coley began to receive offers from major programs, including Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee, Miami (FL), Ole Miss, Wake Forest and Tennessee. He also held offers from other Big Ten schools, such as Northwestern and Wisconsin. 

During the 2020 season, he made 30 tackles and reeled in two interceptions for Houston County High School (Warner Robbins, Georgia). Coley received an offer from Michigan State on Oct. 7, 2020, and visited campus in June of 2021. 

Michigan State’s 2022 recruiting class is currently ranked as the No. 18 class nationally and the No. 4 class in the Big Ten, according to 247Sports. It rose one spot after the commitment of three-star safety Malcolm Jones on Tuesday evening.