Previewing Michigan State volleyball at Michigan

MSU+setter+Celia+Cullen+%282%29%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU setter Celia Cullen (2)/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Michael Germaine, General Assignment Reporter

The Michigan State women’s volleyball team heads to Ann Arbor on Sunday to face Michigan at 1 p.m. 

Michigan State has started off strong with a 7-2 overall record and a .778 winning percentage. The team has gone 5-1 in games at home and 0-1 on the road. The Spartans follow a loss to No. 13 BYU on Sept. 4. 

Michigan State’s last two home games against North Carolina and Duke scheduled for Sept. 10 and 11 at Jenison Field house were cancelled due to health and safety protocols. Redshirt junior Talia Edmonds leads this team this year in sets played. Edmonds has a total of 39 sets played with a total of nine matches played this season. 

Junior Biamba Kabengele is currently the leading Spartan scorer with a total of 46 points scored this year. 

Michigan is currently 7-2 with a .778 winning percentage. The Wolverines are currently 4-1 at home and 2-0 on the road. Michigan most recently played Dayton on Sept. 18, when Michigan won 3-0 (25-17, 25-22, 25-22). Wolverine Paige Jones is leading the team with 114 kills with sophomore Jess Mruzik trailing with a total of 108 kills. Redshirt sophomore Hannah Grant is leading the team with a total of 140 digs with Mruzik trailing with 88. Scottee Johnson is leading the team in assists with an astonishing number of 317. 

Jacque Boney leads the team this year with a total of 44 blocks. For the Spartans, Sarah Franklin is leading kills with a total of 96, and Cecilee Max-Brown trails with a total of 87. 

Edmonds leads the Spartans this season with a total of 117. 

Celia Cullen and Naya Gros are also notable players this year for the Spartans with Cullen having a total of 237 assists so far and Gros having a total of 46 blocks this season.

This game will be the second of MSU’s four-game away stretch.